Pregnancy Ticker

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My 5 & 1/2 month Summer Break

Since we found out that there is a baby on board, Charley and I have been contemplating on what to do with my work situation. We have talked, prayed, looked at finances, consulted family and friends, and finally came to a decision!

For the past two years, I have worked in the public school system as a dance teacher in a high school. The program has an amazing theatre academy, and I found the opportunity to use both my college major (dance) and minor (theatre) at a full time level. Before this job, I was working at an event planning facility (which I LOVED) and also teaching dance at night. But working two jobs was exhausting as well. Teaching full time seemed to be a good solution! Since I don't have an education degree, I had to go back and take a couple of education classes to work on a teaching certificate. Overall, I found teaching high school to be one of the absolute hardest things in the world, and also the most rewarding. The theatre program like I said is amazing, but it takes long hours to produce amazing work. I worked over 6o hours every week and on most weekends, and found myself to be working just as much as I was before. However, I did get many opportunities to grow professionally as a choreographer which I will always be so thankful for. In fact, my choreography will be featured in Scotland this summer. I also found that the challenges of working with unruly teenagers gave me part of what I had been missing in my life for so long....a backbone! I know that will come in handy as a new parent!

So in conclusion, we decided that we could not put a newborn in daycare till 6:30pm everyday. I am giving up some things, but when it comes down to it, I know now I will always choose to be with my child first. I am also very grateful to have the choice! My husband is wonderful and supportive and will be a great provider.

School is now over and this will be the longest I have not worked, ever. I have a huge lists of projects lined up now, but I am also looking forward to this last bit of quiet and relaxing time left in my life haha. Its strange, since high school...I have always been so busy,and now I appreciate this "vacation." My new job will be here before we know it, come November!

No comments:

Post a Comment